Code of Personal Conduct
ILP volunteers are responsible to understand and uphold the following moral standards:
- ILP volunteers should avoid traveling alone. In taxis or after 9 pm, they must be in groups of 3 or more.
- ILP volunteers are to exchange money only at officially approved exchange points.
- ILP volunteers should not associate with people who threaten the safety and/or standards of the group or an individual (as defined by the Regional Administrator).
- ILP volunteers may not be involved in romantic relationships or physically intimate behavior (non-marital). The standard is not how participants characterize the relationships or behavior but how others perceive it. Volunteers may not pair off (be alone or exclusive) with others who are potential romantic interests.
- ILP volunteers should remain politically neutral in their conversations as well as their activities.
- Volunteers may not miss teaching for any reason other than illness.
- Volunteers may not allow teaching to be filmed, recorded, or copied in any way without the written consent of the Program Directors. This includes giving copies of the book, teaching episode manuals, and any other pages of material.
- ILP volunteers must have travel plans (outside of the city) approved by the Head Teacher and Regional Coordinator. Information necessary for approval: location, traveling companions, means of transportation, contact information in case of an emergency, and return time to school.
- ILP volunteers must follow all travel advisories and warnings issued by the U.S. government. (You may obtain a list of these advisories by calling the U.S. embassy.)
- ILP volunteers may not receive compensation for services rendered in or out of the schools (i.e. teaching English to outside groups, accepting full or part-time jobs, etc.)
- ILP volunteers must refrain from making any sort of religious proselytizing or solicitation, and from distributing literature that could be construed as having religious content (where such actions are forbidden by law or by ILP Head Teachers or Coordinators.)
- ILP volunteers agree to follow all reasonable curfews and/or rules given by the Head Teacher and/or Advisor(s).
- ILP volunteers must live with common courtesy, respect of property, and maintain a personal commitment to conduct life in a responsible, professional, and mature demeanor in and out of the school.
If there are violations of the Rules or Code of Conduct, Head Teachers and Regional Coordinators will work with those concerned to arrive at a solution. In rare situations, if deemed appropriate, the ILP Directors and Board of Trustees may dismiss a teacher for violation of rules or code of conduct. Head Teachers and Regional Coordinators are required to report any violation or suspicion of violation of the rules to ILP Directors. We also ask that any volunteers e-mail the ILP office if they have concerns regarding their Head Teacher’s conduct in relation to the rules and code of conduct. All e-mail of this nature will be kept completely confidential unless permission is given otherwise from the volunteer.